These macaroon-inspired bites are quick and simple to make, and go down a treat whether you’re hosting a party or having a quiet family evening (a very rare occasion in our house…)
You will need:
3 egg whites
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 piping bag
Piping nozzle (optional)
100g of plain chocolate
1. Pre-heat your oven to 110
°C and line two baking trays with baking paper
2. Whisk together your three egg whites to a thick consistency
3. Slowly add your caster sugar to the egg whites and continue to whisk
4. Add the vanilla extract to the mixture
5. Keep adding the food colouring of your choice, until you are happy with how vibrant you want your bites to be but be careful, you want to fold your mixture rather than mix it to keep all the air in. You’ll know if the meringue is ready when you can tip it upside down without it pouring out!
6. Carefully spoon your mixture into your piping bag
7. Snip your piping bag a few centimetres from the bottom, or you can use a piping nozzle to create a patterned meringue bite.
8. Squeeze your meringue onto your tray in circles. Feel free to make them whatever size you want!
9. Once you’ve piped all the meringue onto your trays, place them in your oven for 60 minutes at 110
10. Once baked, take the meringues out of the oven and place on the side to cool
11. Meanwhile, melt your chocolate bar using either a Bain Marie or microwave, but be careful not to *cough* burn it *cough* Emma *cough*…
12. Pair the meringues and dip both bottoms in the melted chocolate and sandwich together
13. When you’ve done this to all the meringues, pop them in the fridge until they set.
I have so fun much making these, as meringue is a favourite of mine! Partner it with chocolate, you can’t go wrong.
As well as nibbles, these also make great deserts when served with vanilla ice cream and strawberries. Not the healthiest… but so yummy!!